Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inLatest Topics
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Weatherevents.net
Netweather.tv
Netweather.tv - Weather forecasts, news and information for the UK
UKASF
UKASF
Met Office Weather
Stormscapes Darwin
SSD
StormScape Photography
SSP
Statistics
We have 46 registered users
The newest registered user is bernerockivf

Our users have posted a total of 1624 messages in 192 subjects

Australian Weather.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Updraft
Admin
Updraft

Hi-Five : 6

Australian Weather. Empty
PostSubject: Australian Weather.   Australian Weather. I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 13, 2010 8:20 am

Certainly moreso Pulse1's section here being that he actually lives just outside of Darwin, NT.
Ive recently spent 2 weeks with him chasing in the Northern Territory and i would certainly suggest keeping a check on things here having seen what the NT has to offer storm wise !

Although things will soon be entering the Dry Season there so a few quiet months before those massive Storms start firing again. Although still time for some noteworthy storms before then maybe.

But again please post anything you see that you feel is of interest that is Weather related from Aus.
Back to top Go down
pulse1
pulse1

Hi-Five : 2

PostSubject: Re: Australian Weather.   Australian Weather. I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 19, 2010 5:41 pm

Not a lot happening of late as one could expect with the wet season almost done.. I say 'almost' because there is a developing low in teh Arafura Sea to our north. The monsoon is building again although it may be a little way offshore for our benefit. The bureau gives this low a 20% or Low risk of being a cyclone.

Not unusual and always unexpected these things. The last time we had a late cyclone was Severe TC Monica in 2006 - she got to a CAT5 on April 26th...

The official dry season does not start till May so anything can happen..storm wise lately - bugger all.

A weak tropical low, 1007 hPa, is located in the Arafura Sea. The low is expected to remain slow moving during the next three days.

Likelihood of a tropical cyclone being in the Northern Region on:

Tuesday: very low,
Wednesday: low,
Thursday: low.

NOTE: The likelihood is an estimate of the chance of each system being a
tropical cyclone in the Region for each day...
Very low: less than 5%, Low: 5% to 20%, Moderate: 20% to 50%, High: Over 50%.

CAPE values say it all of late...BORING!

Water vapour image shows up moisture better...you can see that Darwin is void of it...storm wise...the low is in there somewhere at about 11-12 o'clock but no circulation yet.

Australian Weather. Aus_wv_latest

Will keep you all up to date as things develop - or not

Australian Weather. Stormcast_20100419-00-12_cape_darwin
Basketball
Back to top Go down
http://www.http://StormscapesDarwin.com
Joanna762

Hi-Five : 0

PostSubject: Re: Australian Weather.   Australian Weather. I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 19, 2010 8:13 pm

Interesting read there and great images. Hope you get some decent action soon! As the wet season turns into the dry season, is there any more chance of thunder storms and lightning then? Question
Back to top Go down
Updraft
Admin
Updraft

PostSubject: Re: Australian Weather.   Australian Weather. I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 19, 2010 8:48 pm

Nearly the end then Mike....just what will you do with yourself until October eh ? Setting yourself up for next seasons Project i would assume, plenty to do there im sure. Certainly something to look forward to and a new set of challenges as well.

Jo, without answering a question to Mike incorrectly, Wet Season = storms and lots of them... Dry Season = NO storms. And Dry being very Dry as well ! We have 4 seasons, basically only 2 over there.
And all of it hot as well.... love it !
Back to top Go down
pulse1
pulse1

PostSubject: Re: Australian Weather.   Australian Weather. I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 19, 2010 11:49 pm

Not sure if anyone took interest in these...two CAT4 cyclones in close proximity of each other. These are the storms that lashed Fiji and the Solomon Islands March 2010. You can see the east coast of Australia to the LHS.

This clearly disproves the notion that ocean borne tropical storms use up all the energy within the first 100 feet of ocean and energy in the atmosphere between formation of a new system. It's rubbish. They can form as quickly as 24 hours after the previous cyclone/hurricane/typhoon as previously gone through.

Sat images prove it!

Australian Weather. TRCtomasUlui074_GJL
Back to top Go down
Wazza
Admin
Wazza

Hi-Five : 4

PostSubject: Re: Australian Weather.   Australian Weather. I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 3:48 am

Wo two for the price of one! All in one shot.

Interesting stuff there Mike. I know your weather isn't doing much at the mo, but I hear you have a new toy! Any pics going of anything you have taken?

Last edited by Wazza on Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.metweatheruk.net
pulse1
pulse1

PostSubject: Re: Australian Weather.   Australian Weather. I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 4:28 pm

About sums up our weather..at least for cyclone activity...how droll!

Potential Cyclones:
There is a developing low in the monsoon trough south of Indonesia, near 10S
117E. This low is expected to develop into a tropical cyclone late on Thursday or on Friday as it moves to the southwest. It is not expected to affect Christmas or Cocos Islands or the Australian mainland. There are no other significant systems in the outlook area.

Likelihood of a tropical cyclone occurring in the Western Region:
Thursday :Moderate
Friday :High
Saturday :High

You can see on the Sat imagery in the other post circulation occurring in that low to the west offshore.

Photos? Yeah of dragonflies and sunsets....ZZZzzzzzzzz

When you think of zero instability spare a thought for this chaser!

Australian Weather. Stormcast_20100421-00-28_li_darwin
Back to top Go down
Wazza
Admin
Wazza

Hi-Five : 4

PostSubject: Re: Australian Weather.   Australian Weather. I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 7:40 pm

Hehe feeeeel our pain mate! That really has gone quiet eh! Snow next. Razz

Last edited by Wazza on Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.metweatheruk.net
Updraft
Admin
Updraft

PostSubject: Re: Australian Weather.   Australian Weather. I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 22, 2010 5:06 am

Mike for all the maybe 100s of times ive seen your GFS i have never seen it like that. Jeez that does paint a sorry picture, although as Wazza says a picture we see all too often here.

Although this weekend maybe -4 and CAPE of 1000 here !
Yougottabekiddingmeright Suspect
And thats the first time ive been able to look at UK GFS thats better than Darwin surely !

TS/Cyclone wise, still a bit going on out there albeit distant at the moment. Would it take a huge change in current weather patterns to shift any of that your way or simply a change of wind/steering ?
Thats if any of it holds together of course.
All in the lap of the gods i guess really ?

Never give up mate, if we havent theres hope for us all cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Australian Weather.   Australian Weather. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Australian Weather.
Page 1 of 1